Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Too many carrots - day three

I don't think there really is such a thing as too many carrots.  But it is true I have a lot in my refrigerator right now.  So I decided to make a lovely raw carrot salad.

Grate about one pound of peeled carrots (this is where a food processor comes in mighty handy).  Add one firm, tart apple, grated or chopped.  I added 1/3 cup chopped toasted almonds and 1/4 cup chopped dates.  But you could use pecans or walnuts or raisins - whatever you like and have on hand.  You could even use pineapple instead of apple.
Dressing:  Whisk together: 2-3 T. oil. 1 T. vinegar (I used sherry wine vinegar which is a lovely vinegar for salads), a dash of salt and pepper, 2 t. maple syrup or honey and the juice of one medium orange.
Toss dressing and other ingredients together.  This makes six generous servings.


I have to go now, but tomorrow we will have an indepth oil and vinegar discussion.  It is about time we did that since we have been talking about salads.  And we are getting to know each other better.  I never talk about oil and vinegar on a first date.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-16124056-1