Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Crunchy fresh winter salads - day two


I looked out the window this morning and saw white white white and black.  Light snow flurries are drifting down and the hoar frost is everywhere.  Then I looked in my Featherstone box and saw bright orange, dusty dark red, pale green, purple and creamy white.  First I thought - beautiful.  Then I thought -  coleslaw.  We are going to eat coleslaw for supper along with chicken legs (sauteed in olive oil with a few cloves of garlic, chopped onion and a bit of chopped carrot) braised in tomato juice.  Add polenta left over from two days ago and we have a meal.

The coleslaw I made today was a basic version.  Coleslaw 101.  I made it from scratch.  It took ten minutes from start to finish and really I am not that fast a slicer.  When it comes to slicing I am for sure not Julia Child or Meryl Streep playing Julia Child.

I started with one half a medium cabbage, one robust carrot and one small red onion.   I peeled the carrot with a peeler and grated it by hand on a box grater.  Sliced the cabbage and (peeled) onion thinly with a good sharp chef's knife.  (Note - I saved the end of the carrot and onion for soup stock and the cabbage cores will go into the compost.)  All the veggies went into a big mixing bowl.  Dressing:  3 T. oil (I used canola.  Walnut oil would be lovely if you had some.)  2 t. sugar, 4 T. red wine vinegar, rounded 1/4 t. salt, few pinches of black pepper and a few shakes of red pepper flakes, rounded 1/2 t. celery seed (the celery seed is really important, I think.)  I tasted it and might add another teaspoon of sugar.  That is the great thing about cooking yourself.  You get to make these important decisions about taste.  YOU GET TO HAVE IT YOUR WAY.
Whisk together dressing, pour on salad and toss.  This should feed six hungry people and will keep well covered in the refrigerator for several days.

Did you check out that pile of carrots in the picture?  I think tomorrow's salad will have to be all about carrots.  Bugs bunny where are you when I need you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-16124056-1