Thursday, January 27, 2011

Potluck: Cooking and Dignity

I am a big fan of democracy - even if it is messy and slow - and so have been closely following events of late in Tunisia and Egypt. I guess something is happening now in Yemen so I will have even more reading to do.

I am very excited that ordinary people - especially young people - are attempting to stand up for freedom of expression and for the right to govern themselves by rule of law. They want to be treated with dignity by their governments. They want a say in their future. I'm for that.

So what does this have to do with food? Food or government - to me we are faced with the same choices.  It is all a matter of individuals taking responsibility for their own lives.  Yes - there is collective action but the group is made up of individuals.

If you are a CSA member (or a farmers market shopper or a gardener etc.) you have decided to take more personal responsibility for choosing and preparing what you eat. There is certainly dignity in that choice. I am glad you and I have the freedom to make these choices.

A good food friend of mine just shared a link to a video about food self-reliance. Take a few minutes to watch it - it is interesting. http://www.goodfoodworld.com/2011/01/changing-our-food-and-changing-ourselves/

In a few minutes I am going to start chopping some vegetables for our dinner. If Tunisians and others can risk their lives for freedom and democracy I guess I can take some time to chop and cook and personally support an agricultural system that - in my opinion - affirms the dignity of people, animals and the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-16124056-1